Thursday, January 17, 2008

Last Ride

This is an article I wrote, it is dear to my heart and I wanted to share. . .

January 1st 2007,It was cold but clear. The motorcycles protected from the weather rested for the third month in our family room. My husband (Gus) recommended we go for a ride for the New Year. My first thought was burr! But I got out my leathers, stockings, jeans, and three layers of clothing. At this point I was starting to catch the excitement "wow this is going to be a super year", I thanked God in advance for 2007 to be my best year ever. I loved riding my Dyna Super Glide and did not need much convincing.As I maneuvered my motorcycle out of the family room, I felt as if it was freed from the prison it was put in. The excitement built as I fired it into life, hearing the rumble of the powerful motor. Now where to go? Gus suggested going to the local Starbucks, not too far, but a chance to get the wind in our faces! As I love coffee and this was such a cold day it was a wonderful suggestion - You bet, race you! My favorite thing to do was to start off quickly, as I knew Gus would take the bait and roar past me just because he could. What fun we had. We played cat and mouse all the way, as we maneuvered around the corners side by side - this was our dance. It takes a bit of skill and an intimacy of knowing the other riders ability and timing to enjoy this kind of ride. We got to Starbucks before we knew it but already we needed a bit of warming. I wrapped my hands around my coffee and just enjoyed the moment (these are to be remembered).Before our coffees were complete the snow started, a cold hard snow. Time to go, snow and motorcycles are not a good mix. The trip home was a careful one. The turns were a little more deliberate and the starts and stop more cautious. As we pulled into the carport I had a sigh of relief. Home safe and the bikes got to breathe.
This was too short a ride, how was I to know it would be our last together? Shortly after we found Gus had cancer, no more time for motorcycles.This Article is in memory of my Husband Gus (10/12/53 – 3/15/07)

1 comment:

Sue said...

Beautiful story from a beautiful woman! My heart is touched and I know God has something very special in store for you, Rhonda, my dear friend in Synergy.